Saturday, October 12, 2013

West Bend 88003 The Entertainer 3-Quart Electric Fondue Pot with 8 Forks



Great Gift
My husband bought me this for Christmas last year and it is still my all-time favorite gift. We have fondue at least once a month now and I have had a great time learning new recipes for entertaining or just a romantic dinner at home. I love the fact that you don't have to worry about a sterno and the temperature is very easily controlled. I'm requesting that he give me another one this year so that we can do full fondue meals.

Has a learning curve... a little cheap.
Overall this has been a pretty sturdy fondue pot for me so far. It's simply constructed. It's got an all-in-one construction, with everything built into the pot. You just plug in the power adapter/heat control and go. No stacking 8-piece towers or cleaning a dozen seperate components. Cleaning has been easy and I haven't had any problems with the non-stick surface yet.

On the minus side, the forks seem pretty cheap. One of the wooden handles broke open completely and another cracked the very first time they were used -- and this was perfectly ordinary use (just in the pot and out, no mock-swordplay or anything like that). The pot is also a bit shallow if you stick with the recommended volume for your fondue and for me it ran a lot hotter than the what the temperature control indicated (and the owner's manual instructed). I tried a hot oil fondue and thing were getting burned on the outside while raw on the inside (no such problem with my old pot). Tweaking the heat settings...

The Ease of Electric
I just recently purchased this fondue pot because I had grown up eating fondues that had been prepared by my mother and I always loved the easy meals it prepared, so I want one for myself. Her Fondue pot is easily 25 years old and it still works wonderfully. It like this one is electric which makes the temperature control very easy. I had wanted an electric one originally and recely was given an oil based burner-style pot like the one made by Le Creuset (sp?). It stank. Temp control was terrible, clean up was a pain, it smelled while cooking, and the forks didn't stay put, lucky the bowl was too small or I'd be fishing them out of the boiling pot. Needless to say, I bought this one to replace that one, and it is everything I had hoped for, large capacity, easy to use, super quick and easy clean-up, fork ring. If my mother's old electric one (I have no idea who made it) is any indication, I'll be loving this for another 20 years! And even better, unlike that old one, this one...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment