Wednesday, October 16, 2013

All-Clad LTD2 8-Inch Fry Pan



Amazing pan- for a few years (don't believe the warranty)
I loved this pan and used it frequently for many years. In the past two years I've noticed some flaking of the non-stick coating. I went to their website and read about many flaking issues actually just being hardened food particles so I dutifully scrubbed with baking soda to no avail. I finally decided i would send it back but received the following via email from All-Clad:
"Most instances when the non-stick coating has lost its' non-stick properties, it is due to overheating of the pan. Cookware with non-stick coatings should be used on low to medium heat settings. Due to the superior quality of All-Clad cookware the cookware will heat up quicker and retain the heat. One indication that your pan has been overheated is that your non-stick has turned a brown or rusty color. Overheating of the non-stick coating will cause the non-stick properties to break down. As a result you will find that foods are sticking to the cookware. Overheating voids the warranty. You may try...

Love the LTD2 line
I got this as a Warehouse deal from Amazon and didn't really notice any defects with it. The nonstick surface is great - it's a bit rougher texture than my old Calphalon pans. Not sure how that helps performance, but it's definitely effective. Love the long handle. This is a heavy duty pan.

UPDATE:
I've been using the pan for about a year now, and I've noticed the outer coating has worn away slightly in spots where it's prone to abrasion. Also, hardened grease doesn't seem to clean very easily from the outside surface, and I'm nervous to use my barkeeps friend cleaner on it. I will probably stick to the stainless varieties from now on.

It Warps
I'm a big fan of All-Clad cookware. I own several types (LTD, Stainless, copper core). None of them have given me any trouble except for this skillet. The outside warps after only a few uses so that the pan wobbles and won't sit flat. I've replace it several times but with each pan the same results occur. Very disappointing because otherwise it is an excellent pan. The handle is comfortable, the outside is very scratch resistant, the pan is thick and heavy and heats very evenly. I think that All-Clad has a problem with the LTD2 line. It they can fix it they will have a winner. Right now though, I'd avoid it.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment